Updating bungalow windows

Posted by / 09-Dec-2019 14:47

Updating bungalow windows

‘We decided to have the stairs blocked and filled in at the back and sides, and to add new posts,’ says Liz.‘The job took a week, but by not repositioning or replacing the staircase we were still able to use the stairs, so there was little disruption.‘I’m a visual person and there are so many looks that I love that I end up mixing styles throughout the house,’ she explains.‘Plus, we’ve owned much of our furniture for many years, so the inspiration for new décor often comes from one of the pieces that we already own.’Rooms including the living room and the separate snug have a subtle Moroccan/Middle Eastern theme, an idea that was based on existing furniture, including the fire surround and large day bed, as well as fabrics discovered while travelling.The new design has made such a difference, brightening up the hallway and landing – it’s hard to believe it’s the same space.’Upstairs, inspiration for the master bedroom and the guest room came from the patterned wallpaper that Liz fell in love with.‘It’s quite unusual for me to use patterned paper, but I saw the leafy design and started to think about how and where I could use it,’ she says.Keeping the same layout meant the water and gas pipes didn’t have to move, which kept down costs.The room was re-plastered, new flooring was laid and folding-sliding doors were fitted to link the room with the stunning garden.

‘The old conservatory was leaking so we had it knocked down and a new one built with the same footprint, featuring the same frames as the kitchen doors.‘We didn’t get a full survey done before we bought the house, and it caught up with us almost immediately,’ says Liz.The leaky roof was unveiled after Dave made a chance trip up into the roof space, while a visit by an electrician to price up installing some new sockets revealed the faulty electrics.‘The whole house had to be rewired, so the floors in all the rooms had to be taken up.We had the electricians in for about a month,’ recalls Liz.‘We were just so pleased that we hadn’t re-plastered or re-carpeted the house before we found out.’All the work took around two months to sort out but, as the couple didn’t have a stringent budget or strict timescale, it didn’t hinder their plans.

updating bungalow windows-35updating bungalow windows-37updating bungalow windows-63

The woodwork of the apex and window frames is made from mahogany, so to update the appearance they painted both in a black varnish.

One thought on “updating bungalow windows”